Monday, April 20, 2009

A Friend

On Sun. evening I received word that a close friend has been diagnosed with a second type of cancer. The tears flowed as I thought about what he has already gone through and having a kidney transplant.
I sat on the porch and thought about his other two brothers; one who is still facing problems resulting from cancer, and the other who passed away last November. Oh, how I wept and fought back my anger at this disease. And yes, honestly I had to ask God "Why?". My friend has already gone through so much why not a reprieve?
Yet in the midst of my tears, anger, and questions I know that my friends faith will remain strong. He has seen God work in his life so many times. No, healing's haven't come in miraculous ways but they still have come in other various manifestations.
My heart grew so heavy that it hurt as I sat on the porch wondering why was this continually happening to not just this friend, but to this family?
No, the answers did not come. I knew that my thoughts, tears, and questions were my prayers at the time.
Sometimes our struggles are not taken away from us. Sometimes we seem to be bombarded with more and more until everything within us and under us is about to break. Sometimes it does break and in that falling, screaming flight we remember God does love us. He has and will never leave us or forsake us. He is with us in our struggles. Struggles for our friends and for ourselves never separate us from His love for us. He is even praying for us during these times. Just as He did for Peter, who even though denied Jesus, yet came to know Him in such a way that he died for Him. That kind of prayer is for us as well. Not just prayer through the struggles, but afterward . "Lord, help us hang in with YOU."
[there are scriptures that support the last paragraph, but I did't include them. all found in NT]

Well, that's me. Jus Thinkin'

No comments:

Post a Comment